Who We Are
Grace Redeemer is a church with a missional outlook. We believe this outlook includes three vital elements: traditional missions, evangelism and charity. These three elements are not exclusive of each other; rather they overlap each other.
The traditional mission component means to go into the farthest parts of the world, where there is no worship of our true and living God. This aspect includes explaining the general revelation of God’s glory found in nature (Psalm 19:1). The evangelistic component is to go into the world where the knowledge of our God has been established through the church, but evangelism is still needed (Romans 10:14). The charitable component is to meet the immediate needs of the people, which include standing against injustice and meeting physical needs such as food and clothing.
The “Great Commission” (Matthew 28:19-20) teaches us to go into the world, make disciples and teach, baptizing people in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The field for God’s harvest begins at our doorstep and covers the earth. To that end, we help local ministries as well as missionaries far from our homes.
The Missions Committee is funded by gifts given directly to the committee. All missions’ support is independent of the church budget.
Where Have We Been
The Missions Committee spent this past year strengthening relationships with existing missionary partners, identifying and developing relationships with new missionary partners, and fortifying our vision to see all nations call upon the God of Grace for salvation.
2013 highlights include:
- Transitioned from GRC budget “line item” to faith-based giving
- Short-term missions trip to inner-city Chicago church
- Family team short-term trip to serve orphanage in Mexico
- Vision trip to Veritas Church in Italy and assist with outreach event and ministry
- Support Christ the King Presbyterian Church plant in Boston area
- Support church plant for Albanian community in Garfield, NJ
- First annual Missions Committee Retreat
- Seeing God lead new missionaries into partnership with GRC
Where Are We Going?
The short answer is ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Through our ministry partnerships, our congregation will be able to join in the work and development of God’s church in the farthest corners of His world.
Although we may not all be able to visit most missions locations, all of us are able to partner in the work of sharing the Gospel. How? By SENDING! Our giving and prayer support allows our missionary partners to focus on sharing the love of Christ both locally and overseas.
- Become more familiar with our missionary partners by visiting their websites and subscribing to their newsletters. More detailed information about GRC’s missionary partners will be available in the near future on the soon-to-be-revamped Missions tab on GRC’s webpage.
- Email a missionary and let them know you are praying for them. Encourage the missionaries by praying for their specific needs. Commit to praying for our missionaries on a specific day of the week for a year. Invite missionaries for a meal at your home when they are in town.
- Volunteer your time in supporting upcoming and ongoing events and initiatives. For example, work with InterVarsity to minister to the student body at Fairleigh Dickinson University or serve as an ESL teacher at Open Door.
- Prayerfully commit to financially supporting GRC’s missions efforts for the next fiscal year.
- Pray about joining a short term missions trip.
Dave Brown, Kayla Chung, Susan Kwan, Conway Lee, Carol Lutjens,
Frank Martinez and Rochelle Thompson - firstname.lastname@example.org